Upholstery and Mold

Here's a step by step for re-upholstery thanks to my partnership with Fabric.com

Obviously this tutorial wont be identical for every project but it's a general idea of the steps to take.  Plus I encountered mold which was an unexpected bonus.

So, here we go.  Let's start with the before shot:  

 My $11 thrift store chairs.

My $11 thrift store chairs.

First step was to figure out how to take the chair apart so I could remove the old upholstery.

 First I removed the base.

First I removed the base.

 The back of the chair was attached inside the base.

The back of the chair was attached inside the base.

 Now that the chair was taken apart I could see how the upholstery was attached.

Now that the chair was taken apart I could see how the upholstery was attached.

 I used an knife to cut the fabric off of the chair which was stapled down.

I used an knife to cut the fabric off of the chair which was stapled down.

 The next step was to use a seam ripper to separate the pieces of the fabric so I could have a simple pattern to trace onto the new fabric.

The next step was to use a seam ripper to separate the pieces of the fabric so I could have a simple pattern to trace onto the new fabric.

trace pattern.jpg
 I chose this fabric by Justina Blackeney from  Fabric.com  called  Geo Jacquard Mango .  I ended up using the backside unexpectedly because I thought it worked better for this project.

I chose this fabric by Justina Blackeney from Fabric.com called Geo Jacquard Mango.  I ended up using the backside unexpectedly because I thought it worked better for this project.

 And this fabric, also by Justina, from  Fabric.com  called  Dabito Jacquard Moroccan

And this fabric, also by Justina, from Fabric.com called Dabito Jacquard Moroccan

 Once all the pieces were cut and sewn back together the fabric slipped back over the base and I used a staple gun to reattach.

Once all the pieces were cut and sewn back together the fabric slipped back over the base and I used a staple gun to reattach.

Now here's where the not so fun or easy part began:  MOLD

 After removing the backs, I discovered 3 of the 4 chairs had mold on them, mostly on the wood.  The areas of fabric that had mold I cut and removed entirely.  Here's what I did to remove it from the wood and just a disclaimer, I am not an expert, I just googled what to do and hoped for the best!

After removing the backs, I discovered 3 of the 4 chairs had mold on them, mostly on the wood.  The areas of fabric that had mold I cut and removed entirely.  Here's what I did to remove it from the wood and just a disclaimer, I am not an expert, I just googled what to do and hoped for the best!

 I used bleach and vinegar.  Also you should wear protective gloves and a mask during this process...  First I sprayed the mold with bleach and used a damp rag to remove all the loose mold.  It's best to wipe it down after spraying because if you wipe it off when it's dry the spores are more likely to fly around in the air.  Then I sprayed again with a mixture of bleach and vinegar and used an electric sander to sand down the wood while it was damp until enough layers were removed and the mold looked like it was gone.

I used bleach and vinegar.  Also you should wear protective gloves and a mask during this process...  First I sprayed the mold with bleach and used a damp rag to remove all the loose mold.  It's best to wipe it down after spraying because if you wipe it off when it's dry the spores are more likely to fly around in the air.  Then I sprayed again with a mixture of bleach and vinegar and used an electric sander to sand down the wood while it was damp until enough layers were removed and the mold looked like it was gone.

sander.jpg
 Here's after many rounds of spraying with the bleach vinegar mixture and sanding several times.  There were still some dark spots but after some research felt confident that it was just stained from the mold.  Just to be safe I lightly sprayed with the bleach and vinegar mixture again and let them sit outside to fully dry.  

Here's after many rounds of spraying with the bleach vinegar mixture and sanding several times.  There were still some dark spots but after some research felt confident that it was just stained from the mold.  Just to be safe I lightly sprayed with the bleach and vinegar mixture again and let them sit outside to fully dry.  

So, after that fiasco I was finally able to put the whole chair back together and voila! Just like new.

after.jpg